Harwell NurseriesMarch 1, 2021
SMOKED SALMON AND BROCCOLI QUICHEMarch 1, 2021
Hello, and I hope you are enjoying the recipes from this page each month. I have a fabulous recipe for you below which everyone can enjoy. Serve after Sunday lunch or for pudding over Easter for an indulgent treat….
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free (if you use gluten free flour), egg free and dairy free. It is also nut free but don’t forget to check the packaging of the dates in case they contain traces of nuts.
200g/8oz dates, chopped
1 rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g/2oz dairy free soya margarine
Pinch of salt
75g/2½oz Demerara sugar
75g/2½oz molasses sugar
175g/6oz self-raising flour
One teaspoon vanilla extract
|For the sticky toffee topping
250ml/9floz dairy free cream
80g/3oz dairy free margarine
80g/3oz molasses sugar
For the extra sauce
300ml/12floz dairy free cream
50g/2oz dairy free margarine
50g/2oz molasses sugar
150g/6oz dairy free vanilla custard*
(buy or make – remember to check ingredients if buying*)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Pour 275ml/10floz boiling water into a large mixing bowl and add the dates. Set aside until cool.
- Add all the other ingredients to the dates and mix well.
- Blend in a food processor until it makes a nearly smooth batter, but with a few specks of date still visible. Generously grease a baking dish & pour in the batter. Bake for 40 minutes at 170C.
- Preheat the grill.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by heating the ingredients gently in separate pans, whisking regularly, until it comes to the boil.
- Pour the topping over the cooked pudding and place the sticky toffee under grill until bubbling.
- Enjoy with dairy free cream or dairy free custard.
(Remember that lactose free dairy is not dairy free…)