Spear TravelsAugust 24, 2017
Grass seed seasonAugust 24, 2017
This flavour-packed dish is great for a late summer lunch or dinner. Serve with warmed flatbreads and tzatziki, if liked.
Serves 4 Ready in 50 minutes
For The Koftas
- 350g lean minced lamb ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 2tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Squeeze of lemon juice
For The Couscous
- 225g couscous
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cucumber, finely diced
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 4 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- Lemon wedges and mint sprigs to garnish
- To make the koftas, place the mince, onion, garlic, spices, fresh coriander and lemon juice in a food processor. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then process until very finely minced.
- Divide the mixture into 12 and using clean damp hands, shape each into an oval. Push each oval onto the end of a long wooden skewer (see tip) and place on a foil-lined grill pan. Cook under a preheated medium grill for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently, until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the couscous. Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over 250ml boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for about 10 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, cucumber, spring onions and mint. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the koftas with the couscous and tomatoes, garnished with lemon wedges and mint sprigs.
Soak the wooden skewers in cold water for about 20 minutes to prevent the ends burning under the grill.