‘FESTIVE FAUX PAS’
By Dr. Kathryn Miller BVSc MRCVS
With Christmas around the corner you are probably starting to stock up on lots of delicious treats for the family – but bear in mind that many of these will not be safe for your furry family members. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate contains more than milk chocolate, so is therefore more dangerous. If your dog eats any chocola
te then call your vet and let them know the weight of your dog and what was eaten so they can recommend the best course of action.
Grapes/sultanas/raisins can all cause kidney failure if eaten by dogs, even if only a very tiny amount. So please be extremely careful with mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas puddings – if your dog consumes any of these then call your vet immediately. Action must ideally be taken within the hour.
As a general rule, it’s best to avoid giving your pet ‘human food’ as it is often hard to predict the effect it will have on them. The onions and garlic in gravy for instance can cause anaemia. However, if you want to give your pet a bit of your festive feast then a slither of plain turkey meat will go down nicely! But absolutely no cooked bones as they can become stuck in the throat/intestines.
If you have any questions, please call us and we will happily give you advice. Happy holidays!