Thame Town CouncilAugust 27, 2020
Kenzo’s DiariesAugust 27, 2020
The Chilterns Conservation Board and Chiltern Society have developed a series of 23 walks across the Chilterns which are social-distance friendly, avoiding crowded honey-pot locations and narrow paths where possible. This walk is one of them and takes advantage of good paths in hilly countryside with some lovely views.
Length: 4 miles (Allow 2½ hours)
Start & finish: Free roadside parking in Church Road, Cadmore End HP14 3PE
Access Information: Easy walking on good paths and one steady uphill. Three stiles and no gates
Food & drink: The Chequers in Fingest
1.Walk past the village hall and church, then turn right. Follow the track beside the gate, passing a shady pond with a wooden seat to a path junction.
- Keep left, walk down a stony track and take the right hand path into woodland to a wooden notice board. Keep on this path which soon goes downhill emerging on to open fields with a lovely view towards Skirmett. Walk downhill, go over a stile and turn right to a lane in the village of Fingest.
- Turn left along the lane and turn right through a gate into the church yard. On the right there is a small brick paved area with a sundial which makes a good coffee stop. Follow the path past the church and go through the gate into the lane. Turn right along the grass verge and, almost immediately, bear right through a gateway to a track between a flint wall and high hedges to a path junction.
- Take the footpath immediately right. This is a pretty path with views across to Hanger Wood. At the end of the path, go right through woods towards Gravesend to a path junction just before a lane.
- Turn immediately left along the bridleway which soon comes out into open fields. Follow this path for 800m to a stony track on the right that leads towards Harecramp Cottages.
- Take the track and, just before the Cottages, go right over a stile in the hedge. Cross an open meadow and go over the next stile into a lane. Cross the lane to the footpath immediately opposite. Follow this path steady uphill and along to meet the grassy track at Waypoint 1. Turn left past the shady pond to return to the parking place just past the church.